How do you sleep?
Do you get the hours someone your age should be having?
Needing less sleep as you age is a myth!
But sound sleep is essential for health.
Learn more about sleep as we dive into the world of ‘health as a verb’ with Dr. Alka Patel.
Dr. Alka Patel is a TEDx speaker, GP, Lifestyle Doctor, coach, author, and podcaster who amplifies health as a skill and an asset so that inspired individuals and bold businesses can create compassionate lifestyle changes for a happy, healthy living and connected workplace wellness.
In this episode, Dr. Alka talks about health in terms of the sleep we’re getting. She stresses the importance of sufficient sleep, explains why less sleep as you age is a myth, and shares ways you can synchronise your natural sleep rhythms with light.
What you will learn from this episode:
- Know how important having enough sleep is
- Discover the falsity of the myth wherein you need less sleep as you age
- Find out how being out in the light and doing some exercise helps you fall asleep faster and have a better quality of sleep
There is this big myth out there that as you get older, you need less sleep. And I just want to wipe that slate completely clear – it’s just not true. We all need that magic eight hours of sleep. – Dr. Alka Patel
Download Rob’s ‘Breakfast of Brilliance‘ Lifestyle Recipe at https://theartofhealth.fit/
Valuable Free Resource:
Visit https://dralkapatel.com/bookings/, choose, book a conversation, and mention The Art of Vitality Podcast in order to get a free 30-minute consultation on how to slow down ageing.
02:05 – The biggest challenge that people face as they age with regard to staying fit, well, and positive: Not having enough sleep and not giving it the attention to notice.
04:55 – The common mistakes or misconceptions that people have about solving that problem of trying to do too much: Needing less sleep as you age.
07:34 – The number one tip; a tangible specific action that people could implement right away: Go outside, be in the morning light, and exercise in order to have a better quality of sleep.
08:55 – Free resource: Get a free 30 minute consultation to slow down ageing. Visit https://dralkapatel.com/bookings/, choose, book a conversation, and mention The Art of Vitality Podcast.
“There’s really a strong link between sleep and mood. Sleep, when you think about it, it’s your emotional regulator, and if you’re not sleeping well, it does detract you from that positive focus in your day. We’re all more irritable and irrational when we haven’t slept.” – Dr. Alka Patel
“Tune in to the importance of light as a way to synchronise with your natural sleep rhythms.” – Dr. Alka Patel
“Get outside even if just for a few minutes, out into the morning light, and while you’re out there, why not exercise? Why not move? You’re much more likely to fall asleep faster, sleep longer and have better quality of sleep if you do that.” – Dr. Alka Patel
Connect with Dr Alka Patel
- Website: https://dralkapatel.com/
- Linkedin: https://linktr.ee/dralkapatel
- Personal Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/dralkapateluk
- Lifestyle First UK Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/LifestyleFirstUK
- Lifestyle First Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifestylefirstevolution
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dralkapateluk
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dralkapateluk/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/dralkapateluk
- The Lifestyle First Podcast: https://anchor.fm/dr-alka-patel
- Lifestyle First Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaQrM4ryE0a38zqsednEppQ